Friday, October 14, 2011

Knowing about sore backs first hand.

I worked a morning shift Wednesday. My insomnia kept me up tossing in bed fruitlessly until 1am, and I got up at 3:30AM.

When I got off at 2, I was a little skeptical of my idea to go ride. I was like a zombie and I was pretty sure that it wouldn't take much for me to flop off Amber like a sack of potatoes.

But I rode anyway. I was SO sore and stiff. My back was killing me. Like, massive cramps. Amber is a funny horse. Your seat is EVERYTHING to her. If you are too stiff, too wobbly, she will run right through you and be all over the place. I can always tell when my seat is off, because she will be a mess.

I couldn't even help how stiff I was. Unusually, her canter to the right was gorgeous. Big stride, but nice and slow and controlled. To the left, her "better" direction, she was like, flying and I couldn't really adjust her at all other than obviously push her faster, which would have been supremely unhelpful.

It wasn't her at all, it was me. A thunderstorm was rolling in so we cut it short.

I'm going to try to do a little better by her tomorrow. Hopefully quality rest will keep my back from getting sore.

She's definitely improving though. Still a little grumpy in some spots, but not nearly like she was. As always, she is more than happy to canter.

I'm totally thinking about getting some nice western tack second hand next year and doing local western pleasure with her for fun. Sometimes I look at her and think about what a cute western pony she could be. It's not something I'm really into, but it might be neat to do for fun. Plus, I think I'd enjoy having a western saddle for trail riding.

1 comment:

  1. Gosh I hate it when i'm lying in bed trying to sleep but I can't it's so frustrating!!
    Too bad about the ride but at least you got one in.
    i'm glad she's improving.

    ReplyDelete